AQUATIC PROGRAM DESCRIPTIONS
St. Matthew’s Recreation Center is a certified provider of the American Red Cross Learn To Swim program.
Designed for children over 6 months all the way up to adults
Students’ progress through the levels at their own pace, mastering the skills in one level before advancing to the next
Each level includes training in basic water safety, stroke development, and even helping in a water emergency
American Red Cross Learn To Swim Programs
LEARN TO SWIM (Beginner)
- Teaches elementary aquatic skills to lay the foundation for future strokes. Teaches how to be comfortable in the water, develop positive attitudes and safe practices.
LEARN TO SWIM (Advance Beginner)
- Participants further develop simultaneous and alternating arm and xx leg action on front and back that lay the foundation for future strokes. Front Crawl, Back Crawl and Treading Water are introduced.
LEARN TO SWIM (Intermediate)
- Builds on previously learned skills. Teaches stroke development. Introduces breast stroke, side stroke, butterfly and diving.
LEARN TO SWIM (Advance)
- Refines all stroke performance. Flip turns on front and back are introduced and participants will swim with more ease, efficiency, and power over greater distances.
PARENT/CHILD AQUATICS (6 months to 5 years)
- Parents are taught to safely work with their child in the water, including how to appropriately support and hold their child in the water and how to prepare and encourage their child to participate fully and try the skills.
PRESCHOOL AQUATICS (3 years to 5 years)
- Teaches elementary aquatic skills which continues to builds on as they progress through the Preschool Aquatic levels. Children start developing good attitudes and safe practices around the water
- OUR LEARN TO SWIM AQUATICS PROGRAM ALSO OFFERS PRIVATE LESSONS BY SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT
- Want a private swim for your school, day camp, family, or friends? Block out some time with our Pool Rental Program as well.