Chicken Piccata with Pasta & Mushrooms
Our chicken piccata, served over whole-wheat pasta, has a rich lemon-caper sauce that’s made with extra-virgin olive oil and just a touch of butter for flavor. If you like, you can use a mild fish like tilapia or even shrimp instead of chicken breast.
Nutrition Profile: Diabetes Appropriate Healthy Weight Heart Healthy High Fiber High Potassium Low Calorie Low Cholesterol Low Sat Fat Low Sodium
· 6 ounces whole-wheat angel hair pasta
· 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, divided
· 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
· 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
· 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
· 4 chicken cutlets, (3/4-1 pound total), trimmed
· 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
· 1 10-ounce package mushrooms, sliced
· 3 large cloves garlic, minced
· 1 medium yellow onion, diced
· 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
· 2 tablespoon lemon juice
· 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
· 2 tablespoon capers, rinsed
· 2 teaspoons butter
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until just tender, 4 to 6 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
Meanwhile, whisk 5 teaspoons flour and broth in a small bowl until smooth. Place the remaining flour in a shallow dish. Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and dredge both sides in the flour. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned and no longer pink in the middle, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; cover and keep warm.
Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onions, cook, stirring, until they release their juices and begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add garlic and wine to the pan and cook until reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the reserved broth-flour mixture, lemon juice and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in parsley, capers, butter and the reserved mushrooms. Measure out 1/2 cup of the mushroom sauce. Toss the pasta in the pan with the remaining sauce. Serve the pasta topped with the chicken and the reserved sauce and a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese.
· Serving: Per serving
· Calories: 397
· Carbohydrates: 45g
· Fat: 9g
· Protein: 28g
· Dietary Fiber: 5g
· Saturated Fat: 3g
· Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
· Cholesterol: 54mg
· Potassium: 609mg
· Sodium: 544mg
· Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat
· Carbohydrate Servings: 3