Delicious Spaghetti Recipe
Spaghetti with Quick Meat Sauce
From: EatingWell Magazine
Instead of opening a jar of sauce, try this easy spaghetti with meat sauce on a weeknight. Serve with steamed broccoli and garlic bread. The recipe makes enough for 8 servings. If you're serving only four for dinner, cook 8 ounces of spaghetti and freeze the leftover sauce.
Ingredients 8 servings
· 1-pound whole-wheat spaghetti
· 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
· 1 large onion, finely chopped
· 1 large carrot, finely chopped
· 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
· 4 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
· 1-pound lean (90% or leaner) ground beef, lean turkey or ground white meat chicken
· 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
· ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
· ½ teaspoon salt
· ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Preparation: Active 30 min. Ready in 30 min.
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is beginning to brown, 5 to 8 minutes.
3. Stir in garlic and Italian seasoning; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beef and cook, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes. Increase heat to high. Stir in tomatoes and cook until thickened, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in parsley and salt.
4. Serve the sauce over the pasta, sprinkled with cheese.
· Serving size: 1 cup pasta & generous ¾ cup sauce
· Per serving: 389 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat); 9 g fiber; 54 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 55 mcg folate; 48 mg cholesterol; 8 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 1,946 IU vitamin A; 14 mg vitamin C; 120 mg calcium; 5 mg iron; 484 mg sodium; 711 mg potassium
· Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (39% daily value), Iron (28% dv), Vitamin C (23% dv)
· Carbohydrate Servings: 3½
· Exchanges: 3 starch, 1½ vegetable, 2 lean meat