Spicy, Tasty, Vegan!
Spicy Vegan Black Bean Soup
Yields 6 servings
1. 3/4 cup water (or 2 tablespoons olive oil; if not oil-free)
2. 1 red onion, chopped
3. 1 clove garlic, minced
4. 1/3-1/2 jalapeño, finely chopped, to taste (optional)
5. 2 medium-sized carrots, chopped
6. 1 red bell pepper, chopped (or any color)
7. 4 teaspoons ground cumin
8. 2 teaspoons chili powder
9. 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
10. 1- 15 oz. can organic sweet corn, drained and rinsed
11. 3 -15 oz. cans organic black beans, drained and rinsed
12. 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
13. 1/2 lime, juiced
14. 1/4 cup cilantro
15. sea salt & pepper, to taste
16. toppings: avocado, crushed tortilla chips, jalapeño, cilantro, dairy-free cheese
1. Heat the water (or oil, if preferred) in a soup pot or large dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in the onions and garlic, with a pinch of sea salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent.
2. Stir in the jalapeño, carrot, red bell pepper, cumin, chili powder and red pepper flakes. Cook until vegetable are soft, about 7-9 minutes.
3. Pour in the beans, corn and broth. Bring to a slow boil over medium-high heat then reduce to a gentle simmer. Cook until the beans are soft and the broth has lots of flavor, about 20 minutes. Turn off heat.
4. Using a hand immersion blender, blend about half of the soup, still leaving whole beans intact. Blend more for a smoother texture or less for a chunkier texture, depending on preference (this step is optional; you can also blend half in a regular blender, making sure to let out the steam, to prevent a soup explosion as it gets very hot. Pour it back into the soup pot).
5. Stir in lime juice and cilantro and taste test to see if it needs more salt or pepper. Adjust accordingly.
6. Serve with your favorite toppings!
1. For an even heartier soup, add in brown rice or quinoa!
Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 4 days or frozen