Spiralized Zucchini Casserole
Spiralized Zucchini & Summer Squash Casserole
From: EatingWell Magazine
If you don't have a spiralizer to make this healthy zucchini noodle casserole (aka zoodles), use a vegetable peeler to make long thin strips of the squash and zucchini, stopping when you reach the seedy center. Just a few minutes under the broiler gives these ricotta-and-basil-filled nests a light golden top.
Ingredients 8 servings
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- ½ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 2 medium summer squash
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
Preparation: Active 30 min. Ready in 30 min.
- Position a rack in the top position of oven; preheat broiler to high.
- Combine ricotta, Parmesan, basil, garlic and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Using a spiral vegetable slicer or a vegetable peeler, cut summer squash lengthwise into long, thin strands or strips. Stop when you reach the seeds. You should have about 6 cups of "noodles." Place them on a cutting board and shape into an even 10-inch square. Cut the square into quarters. Transfer each "nest" to a 9-by-13-inch broiler-safe pan (or similar size 3-quart baking dish). Repeat with zucchini. Arrange the zucchini nests in an alternating pattern with the summer squash.
- Drizzle the nests with oil and season with salt and the remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. Make a well in the center of each and spoon in about 2 tablespoons filling.
- Broil the nests until browned in spots, 6 to 8 minutes. Serve warm.
- Serving size: 1 "nest"
- Per serving: 127 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat); 1 g fiber; 5 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 36 mcg folate; 19 mg cholesterol; 3 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 491 IU vitamin A; 21 mg vitamin C; 149 mg calcium; 1 mg iron; 263 mg sodium; 358 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value)
- Carbohydrate Servings: ½
- Exchanges: ½ vegetable, ½ medium-fat meat, ½ high-fat meat, ½ fat